- 2 large eggplants, cut into 2½cm slices, then halved
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 2½cm slices Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large tomatoes, or 400g tin tomatoes, well drained
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 2 red or green capsicum, deseeded and chopped
- 1 level tbs roughly torn fresh basil
Place the eggplant and zucchini in a colander, sprinkle them generously with salt, press them down with a plate and put weights (or other heavy objects) on top, then let them stand for about 1 hour – the salt will draw out any bitterness and excess moisture.
Meanwhile, if using the whole tomatoes, remove their skins by plunging them into boiling water for a couple of minutes to loosen. Slide off the skins, then cut them into quarters, remove the seeds and roughly chop the flesh.
Place the onions, garlic and oil in a large saucepan and gently fry for 10 minutes, then add the capsicum. Dry the zucchini and eggplant with paper towel and add them to the saucepan.
Add the basil, season, stir once really well, then simmer gently, covered, for 30 minutes. Add the tomatoes, season to taste and cook for a further 15 minutes with the lid off. Serve.
Lamb, mint & beetroot salad
Alternative winter salad... Read more from one of our delicious and healthy...
Easy apple & chicken salad
Toss together the chicken, apple, celery... Read more from one of our delicious and healthy...
Healthy, savory muffins... Read more from one of our delicious and healthy...