Your digestive system takes nutrients from food into your bloodstream and eliminates potentially harmful substances.
- A poor diet, such as fried food can cause digestive problems.
- Digestive complaints may be caused by intolerance to certain ingredients, such as dairy products or wheat.
- Your doctor can help you identify which ingredients are causing the complaint.
- Psychological factors greatly influence your intestinal function and the secretion of digestive juices.
- Gastrointestinal ailments can be triggered by your emotional state and stress level.
- Poor elimination of waste products can lead to constipation or hemorrhoids.
Symptoms of poor digestion
How to manage digestive problems
- Chewing food properly is vital, as it stimulates digestive juices.
- Avoid types of food or stressful situations that bring on gastrointestinal symptoms.
- A high fiber diet will help your body eliminate waste effectively.
As well as helping maintain healthy digestive function and regularity, fiber also supports friendly gut bacteria. Healthy sources of fiber can come from high fiber cereals, fresh fruit, salads and vegetables, or using a fiber supplement such as oat bran or psyllium.
Friendly gut bacteria like Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium lactis are important for a healthy digestive tract. Acidophilus in particular may be effective at improving digestion if you’ve had a poor diet, medications like antibiotics, or if you suffer from bloating, gas or flatulence.
Ginger has been used in Chinese herbal medicine for centuries to relieve nausea and vomiting, improve appetite and enhance digestion. Ginger has the additional benefit of also relieving intestinal flatulence.
Slippery Elm has long been used in Western herbal medicine to relieve irritation in your throat and digestive tract and soothe inflammation of the stomach.
Golden Seal is a herb that helps to lubricate mucous membranes to aid the flow of food through the digestive system. It may relieve intestinal complaints and digestive disturbances.
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
Published November 20, 2012
Sleep is one of the cornerstones of good health and helps to refresh the mind and repair the...
What is glucosamine and why is it important for joint health?
Glucosamine is one of the building blocks of cartilage and occurs naturally in our...
Five of the Best Exercises for Relieving Knee Pain
Low-impact exercise is one of the best ways to relieve knee pain and keep swelling and stiffness at...