Five huge health benefits from eating magnesium rich foods
Magnesium is involved in more than 300 metabolic reactions in the human body and is therefore an essential nutrient to maintain health. Five key health benefits of incorporating plenty of magnesium‐rich foods in your diet include:
- Energy production – The metabolism of carbohydrates and fats to produce energy requires many magnesium‐dependent chemical reactions and it’s therefore a critical component of energy production in the body.
- Muscle function – Adequate magnesium is important for healthy muscle function; if your magnesium intake is inadequate you could experience muscle cramps, weakness and spasms.
- Bone health – Like calcium, magnesium is an integral part of the structure of bones and teeth, and adequate dietary magnesium is important for the development and maintenance of bone density.
- Heart support – Sufficient dietary magnesium is important for general heart health and cardiovascular function.
- Nerve conduction – Magnesium plays a role in transporting calcium and potassium across cell membranes, a process which is important for nerve conduction.
Which foods are good sources of magnesium?
To provide your body with the magnesium it needs for numerous body functions, it is important to consume a healthy and balanced diet with a focus on fresh wholefoods. Good dietary wholefood sources of magnesium include:
- Unrefined whole grains including oats and brown rice.
- Green leafy vegetables such as spinach because magnesium is a part of chlorophyll, the green pigment in plants.
- Nuts such as cashews, peanuts, hazelnuts and almonds.
- Legumes including edamame, kidney beans, black beans and lima beans.
- Blackstrap molasses.
- Salmon and halibut
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
Published December 1, 2014
Superfood to watch: Kale
Kale is one superfood worth looking for on the supermarket shelves if you're looking to boost your vitamin...
How good gut health helps with allergies
Naturopathic medicine has traditionally linked digestive health to the overall health of a person....
Ten tips to get to sleep quicker
For some people falling asleep isn't as easy as placing their head on a pillow and shutting their...