Tips to help you kick start a fitness regimen
While we all know exercise can be one of the best things we do for our health, actually starting and maintaining an exercise program can be a little daunting, especially if it’s been a little while since you last exercised. To help you kick start your fitness regime:
- Pace yourself – It’s important to start slowly and build up gradually when starting a fitness program. Go at your own pace and work your way up to at least 30 minutes of moderate – vigorous exercise on most days of the week, as your stamina improves. Note: Moderate exercise is where your breathing quickens but you are not out of breath and you can carry on a conversation but not sing. Vigorous activity is where your breathing is deep and rapid and it’s difficult to talk.1
- Choose activities you enjoy – Running is a great form of exercise but if you cringe at the thought of doing it then try something else. After all, you’ll be more likely to keep up your routine if you get some sense of enjoyment out of it. Try an aerobics class, join a sports team, attend a dance class or walk briskly around the block.
- Include a variety of activities – Incorporating different activities into your weekly exercise routine will not only keep boredom at bay but can reduce the risk of injury and broaden the health benefits. It’s generally recommended to combine aerobic activities such as running or cycling with strength training such as lifting weights, and flexibility exercises like stretching or yoga.2
- Make it social – Workout with a friend or partner, or join a sports team or club to help keep you motivated.
- Track your progress – Use a workout companion app or pedometer to inspire you and track your progress.
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
Published April 15, 2014
Five ways to boost bone strength
ur bones support our every move, protect our vital organs and act as a storehouse for important...
Healthy Stress Versus Unhealthy Stress
There comes a point when stress stops being helpful and starts to impact on your...
Vitamin C and its benefits to the body
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is an essential nutrient that plays many important roles in the body important...