Best superfoods to boost energy
Published December 1, 2014
As busy people with overscheduled and stressful lifestyles, it’s no wonder that many of us feel a little drained from time to time. But in combination with exercise, stress management and an overall healthy diet, superfoods may play a role in re‐energizing our bodies by delivering important vitamins and minerals. The best superfoods to support energy include:
- Spirulina – Spirulina is a superfood that’s rich in nutrients that may help revitalize your natural energy levels. It contains up to 70% protein as well as B‐complex vitamins, beta‐carotene, chlorophyll, vitamin E and various minerals. Protein is an important source of steady and sustained energy and most of the B vitamins are involved in converting energy from the food we eat into usable energy for the body’s cells.
- Chia – Chia seeds were known as ‘running food’ by the ancient Aztecs and were reputedly consumed by Aztec messengers to sustain energy. Chia is naturally rich in omega 3 fatty acids, dietary fiber, protein and various vitamins and minerals.
- Barley grass – Barley grass is a source of vitamin B1, B2, B5, B6 and B12, iron and magnesium as well as various other important nutrients. Most of these nutrients are involved in the production of energy in the body.
- Acai berries – Acai berries are rich in antioxidants known as anthocyanins and contain varying levels of protein, calcium, phosphorus, iron and vitamin B1. Vitamin B1 plays a role in the releasing energy from the food we eat and converting it into adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the form of energy used by the body’s cells, and iron is also required for efficient energy production.
- Superfood whole grains – Including various organic whole grains in your daily diet, such as oat bran, millet, quinoa, amaranth and buckwheat, may provide your body with a source of sustained natural energy to help you get through your busy days.
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
Ten tips to get to sleep quicker
For some people falling asleep isn't as easy as placing their head on a pillow and shutting their...
Is your favourite sports team making you unhealthy?
Everyone knows a balanced diet with plenty of nutrients such as calcium and vitamin D, protein, omega-3 and other...
Stages of menopause
Most women reach menopause between the ages of 45 and 55 with the average age of onset being...