10 foods for your brain
Did you know that what we eat can help our brains to function properly? Here are our top 10 foods to include in the diet to support a healthy mind:
- Blueberries – Blueberries contain antioxidants. Add a handful to your breakfast for a morning brain boost.
- Fish – Fatty fish are a superior source of omega-3 essential fatty acids, which are important for healthy brain function. In fact, the brain is naturally rich in omega-3, particularly docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). To support cognitive function and memory, it’s recommended to eat fish two to three times a week and, or take a fish oil supplement.
- Rosemary ‐ Researchers have found that even just the scent of rosemary can improve brain performance.
- Avocado – Avocados are rich in healthy unsaturated fats including omega-3 which is important for healthy brain function.
- Green tea – Swap one of your daily cups of coffee with green tea as it contains an amino acid called theanine, which produces a calming effect on the body while promoting an alert mental state.
- Chocolate – Flavonoids found in chocolate appear to have several actions on areas of the brain. The darker the chocolate, the better.
- Walnuts – Walnuts are a great plant source of omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants.
- Whole grains – A study on the dietary patterns of nearly 4000 men and women found that higher intakes of whole grains were positively associated with better brain function. One explanation for this may be that whole grains provide a slow release of glucose to the brain, which is used as brain fuel. At the other end of the spectrum, refined grains provide a much faster release of glucose.
- Legumes (beans, peas and lentils) – Legumes may also support brain function.
- Sage – For a long time sage has been traditionally used to support cognitive processes.
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
Published December 1, 2014
Easy ways to boost your breakfast with superfoods
Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. It refuels the body after many hours of...
Benefits of berries
Following is a list of common and exotic berries that contain a concentrated blend of nutrients and may contribute to...
Getting better sleep: easing troubled sleep
Over one third of Australians experience trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep from time to...