Tips to strengthen the immune system
Published June 13, 2014
Your immune system is an important component of maintaining overall good health. The immune system helps defend us against potentially harmful bacteria, viruses and other microbes that we’re constantly coming into contact with throughout our lives.
As we mature our immune system has had more time to come in contact with many germs. To an extent, this makes us immune to them and as a result, adults tend to get fewer colds and illnesses than children. However with the large number of viruses that are evolving, even as adults we can still succumb to illness. Factors such as stress and a poor diet can both have an impact on how well our immune system functions.
Having an immune system which can respond quickly and effectively to invading microbes means we’re less likely to become ill.
Strengthen your immune system with these helpful tips:
- Adopt healthy living strategies:1
- Exercise regularly
- Don’t smoke
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Get adequate sleep
- Eat a fresh food diet containing lots of nutrient and antioxidant rich fruit and vegetables
- Nutritional support could include:
- Vitamin C ‐ an antioxidant and supports immune function. It’s been shown to stimulate both the production and function of white blood cells (immune cells).
- Echinacea – an herb that has long been used to support the immune system. It may help to reduce the frequency of catching a cold and if you already have a cold, it may also help reduce the duration and severity of the symptoms.
- Zinc – a mineral involved in many chemical reactions that are important for normal body functioning. It supports antioxidant systems and helps maintain healthy immune function.
- Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that help improve nutritional and microbial balance in the gastrointestinal tract. They also help to maintain a healthy immune system and immune response.
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
What to do before bed to get a good night’s sleep
There's nothing like waking up after a really good night's sleep, bursting with energy and ready to face the day...
Early signs and symptoms of menopause
The earliest sign of menopause will usually be a change in the pattern of your menstrual...
Vitamins to help with digestive health
Some of the vitamins involved in maintaining digestive health and function...