How fenugreek is helping breastfeeding mums
Published February 22, 2015
Fenugreek seed is a herb with a long history of medicinal use in Western herbal medicine for numerous purposes. It’s considered to have ‘galactogogue’ properties, or the ability to support a healthy milk supply in nursing mothers. Some mothers experience low milk production and may worry that they aren’t supplying enough milk to support their growing baby’s needs. Fenugreek may be helpful in assisting natural milk production and therefore providing babies with much-needed nutrients to support their healthy growth and development.
How much fenugreek do I need?
To support healthy milk production, it’s recommended that breastfeeding mothers consume the equivalent of 1000mg (1g) of fenugreek dry seed three times daily. This can be obtained by taking Nature’s Own Fenugreek 1000mg which contains the equivalent of 1000mg Fenugreek dry seed per capsule.
Always read the label. Follow the directions for use. If symptoms persist, talk to your health professional.
What else can I do to support my milk supply?
Other tips for establishing and maintaining good milk supply include:
- Frequent feeding – The more you feed your baby, the more milk your breasts should make. Try breastfeeding regularly, every two to three hours, for a total of at least eight feeds in 24 hours.1 Galactogogues such as fenugreek, work best when milk is being removed frequently and effectively from a mother’s breasts.2
- Good attachment – Make sure that attachment is good and your baby is both sucking and swallowing.1
- Stimulation – Compress or massage your breasts before breastfeeding or expressing to encourage good drainage.1
- Avoid smoking1 – As this can affect milk supply.
- Avoid replacing feeding with formula1 – If you need to give your baby extra fluid, try giving expressed breast milk before artificial formula.
- Seek support and information – Seek early advice and support from your midwife, a lactation consultant or the Australian Breastfeeding Association.
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
Essential vitamins and minerals that may be difficult to get through diet alone
Vitamins and minerals you may not be getting enough of...
Why kids need Omega-3
During childhood, the brain and nervous system undergoes rapid growth and...
What Is Kelp & What Benefits Can It Offer?
Kelp or ‘bladderwrack’ (Fucus vesiculosus) is a type of seaweed that is naturally rich in the trace mineral...