Benefits of vitamin C
Published March 28, 2014
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is a water‐soluble vitamin that’s required from the diet on a regular basis to assist with important body functions. It has a number of benefits for a healthy body including:
- The maintenance of connective tissue – Vitamin C is essential for the formation of collagen, the major fibrous element of skin, blood vessels, bones, muscles and cartilage. It’s also involved in the synthesis of other important substances needed for healthy connective tissue including elastin and proteoglycans.1 Vitamin C is essential for wound healing and may assist with recovery from minor burns.
- Immune health – Vitamin C stimulates the production and function of white blood cells (leukocytes), especially neutrophils, lymphocytes and phagocytes, which are responsible for protecting the body from pathogens such as viruses and bacteria. Research has found that consuming vitamin C regularly may reduce the duration and severity of colds and help relieve cold symptoms.
- Antioxidant – Vitamin C is considered to be one of the most important water‐soluble antioxidants in the body.1 Antioxidants fight free radicals generated through normal metabolism, by active immune cells and by exposure to chemicals and pollutants. In addition to being an important antioxidant, vitamin C supports the function of other antioxidants including vitamin E and glutathione.1
- Modulates histamine – Vitamin C helps modulate the histamine response involved in allergic reactions, helping to relieve symptoms of allergies and hayfever.
- Bone health – Vitamin C helps in the development and maintenance of bones.
- Brain and nerve function – Vitamin C is required for the synthesis of several important brain chemical.
- Iron absorption – Vitamin C improves the absorption of iron, a mineral that’s necessary for the formation of haemoglobin, which transports oxygen to the body’s tissues.
- Gout relief – Vitamin C helps lower uric acid levels. High uric acid may be associated with gout.
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
Are you experiencing an unhealthy level of stress?
Stress isn't always bad. In moderate doses, it can help you perform under pressure and help you stay focused, motivated...
Five ways to boost bone strength
ur bones support our every move, protect our vital organs and act as a storehouse for important...
Simple ways to increase your nutritional intake
There are simple ways to help increase your nutritional intake on a daily basis so you can perform at your best such...