Supporting energy with superfoods
Published August 15, 2014
By providing many of the nutrients our bodies need, superfoods may help support your energy levels and the stamina you demand to get through your busy days. Here are our top picks:
- Spirulina – Spirulina contains up to 70% protein as well as B‐complex vitamins and other important nutrients. Eating protein rich food provides the body with steady and sustained energy and most of the B vitamins are involved in converting energy from the food we eat into the form of energy used by our bodies’ cells, known as ATP (adenosine triphosphate).
- Barley Grass – Similar to spirulina, barley grass is also a source of B vitamins including B1, B2, B5, B6, B12 and folic acid,1 which are involved in the production of energy in the body.
- Wheatgrass – According to secondary sources, wheatgrass is a complete protein source.2 Wheatgrass is a good source of nutrients including protein. Incorporating more protein into your daily diet may help balance your blood sugar levels and reduce the notorious morning or afternoon energy slump.
- Acai berries – Acai berries contain varying levels of important vitamins and minerals including vitamin B1 and iron.3 B1 is involved in the release of energy from carbohydrates, fats and proteins and converts it to adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the form of energy that the body uses. Iron is also involved in energy production and symptoms of inadequate iron intake include fatigue.
- Green leafy vegetables – Magnesium is a mineral involved in the production of cellular energy. It’s a part of chlorophyll, the green pigment in plants, making green leafy vegetables a rich source of magnesium.4 Green leafy vegetables include spinach, broccoli and kale.
- Organic whole grains – Including whole grains such as amaranth, quinoa, buckwheat, millet and oats into your meals may help keep your blood sugar levels steady, making a difference to your energy levels throughout the day.
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
Three ways to increase your energy
As the festive season approaches, many people will feel the strain and may suffer from lower than usual energy levels...
The importance of omega 3 during pregnancy and breastfeeding
The baby receives the entire omega-3s it needs directly from the mother, through placental...
Is a detox suitable for everyone?
There are many detoxification programs available in shops and over the internet, ranging from mild to extreme, which...