Superfoods for glowing skin
Published August 15, 2014
Our nutritional status plays an important role in the maintenance of healthy skin. Macronutrients such as protein and fats and micronutrients including vitamins and minerals work in synergy to maintain the barrier functions of skin to protect against everyday challenges.1 Any changes in nutritional status that occur can directly affect our skin’s appearance.1 As a naturally rich source of important skin nutrients, “superfoods” may support skin structure and appearance, in particular:
- Blueberries – Blueberries are a natural source of potent antioxidants known as anthocyanins as well as vitamin C.2 Antioxidants help protect against skin damage and help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and inflammation.3 The antioxidant properties of vitamin C, as well as its important role in collagen synthesis, make it an essential nutrient for the maintenance of skin health.
- Acai – Acai berries are also rich in anthocyanins, as well as some vitamin A and E, and important fatty acids including omega-6 (linoleic acid) and omega 9 (oleic acid).4 Omega 6 fatty acids have a particular role in the structural integrity and barrier functions of the skin.5
- Chia – Chia seeds are a source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which play critical roles in normal skin function and appearance.5
- Pomegranate – Pomegranate contains significant amounts of vitamin C, as well as polyphenol antioxidants including anthocyanins, catechins and flavonols.6
- Rosehip – Rosehips are naturally high in vitamin C and may play a role in the maintenance of skin health.
- Cocoa – Contrary to popular belief, chocolate, the unprocessed kind, may actually be good for our skin, due to its antioxidant and anti‐inflammatory effects.7
- Green tea – The polyphenols in green tea have been found to support skin elasticity, structure and appearance.8
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
How fenugreek is helping breastfeeding mums
Fenugreek seed is a herb with a long history of medicinal use in Western herbal medicine for numerous...
The benefits of a combined day and night multivitamin for men
Every day our bodies carry out specific functions that are necessary for everyday health, and it requires vitamins,...
How to stay hydrated this summer
Proper hydration is important year-round, but what satiated your thirst during winter might not be good enough to keep...