Superfood to watch: Kale
Published May 5, 2014
Kale is one superfood worth looking for on the supermarket shelves if you’re looking to boost your vitamin intake. Kale looks a lot like dark, leafy lettuce but provides a vast amount of vitamins and other essentials without adding a single gram of fat to your diet.
Even if you’re already consuming a variety of vegetables in your diet, kale is a standout for your health. We’ve included a few reasons why below:
- According to The George Mateljan Foundation, one cup of kale will give you more than the daily requirements of vitamin K and A, and almost 90 per cent of recommended vitamin C intake.
- It’s high in a number of nutrients including fiber, iron, potassium, calcium, protein and magnesium.
- Per gram, kale has more iron than beef. This helps to transport oxygen around the body, encourages cell growth and helps liver function, as well as other benefits.
- Kale is also great for cardiovascular health. Raw or cooked, this vegetable can help to actively lower cholesterol levels in a natural and healthy way1.
- Those suffering from inflammation problems may also find kale beneficial due to its high levels of omega-3 fatty acids. In addition to this, the high levels of vitamin K found in this superfood can help to reduce swelling and other related issues2.
- The fiber in kale aids digestion and helps you feel fuller for longer, potentially reducing the amount of snacking in between meals.
Like broccoli and other richly colored vegetables, kale is easy to spot on the shelf once you know what to look for and with all the added health benefits it’s well worth adding to your basket.
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
The benefits of fenugreek
Fenugreek is a herb also known as Trigonella foenum-graecum, Greek hay seed, and bird’s...
How much sleep do children need?
Children have much greater sleep needs than adults as sleep directly impacts on their physical and mental...
Benefits of superfoods for maintaining a healthy weight
Sustainable weight management is essentially about eating a balanced diet and keeping the body...