Immunity and superfoods
Published August 15, 2014
A healthy body begins with a healthy immune system, and a healthy immune system requires a number of different vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other beneficial substances to do its job properly. As a concentrated source of essential nutrients, superfoods may help to keep our immune systems working properly. Superfoods that could form part of a balanced diet include:
- Goji berries – Goji berries are a natural source of carotenoids, vitamin C and other antioxidants.
- Rosehip – Rosehips contain vitamin C (ascorbic acid), a vitamin and an antioxidant that is needed for immune function.
- Blueberries – Blueberries have high levels of antioxidants.
- Acerola – As one of the richest natural sources of vitamin C, acerola has been traditionally used as an immune stimulator and modulator. For this reason it is often added to health supplements.1
- Shiitake mushrooms – Shiitake mushrooms are well documented for their immune supportive properties. Their unique composition of polysaccharides is believed to be responsible for these effects,2 but they are also a good source of zinc, which is important for immune system function.
- Wheatgrass – Wheatgrass may deliver vitamins A, C and E,3 which have anti-oxidant properties and are required for immune system function.
- Acai – Acai berries may contain various beneficial substances including anthocyanins, B vitamins and vitamins A and E.
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
How to identify the early signs of joint damage
When cartilage starts to wear, it can cause inflammation of the entire...
Benefits of breastfeeding
It provides all the nutrition your baby needs during their first six months of life and gives them a healthy start that...
Why do I feel so jumpy and irritated?
Sometimes you may feel a little out of sorts but cannot quite put your finger on...