How fenugreek is helping breastfeeding mums
Fenugreek seed is a herb with a long history of medicinal use in Western herbal medicine for numerous purposes. It’s considered to have ‘galactogogue’ properties, or the ability to support a healthy milk supply in nursing mothers. Some mothers experience low milk production and may worry that they aren’t supplying enough milk to support their growing baby’s needs. Fenugreek may be helpful in assisting natural milk production and therefore providing babies with much-needed nutrients to support their healthy growth and development.
How much fenugreek do I need?
To support healthy milk production, it’s recommended that breastfeeding mothers consume the equivalent of 1000mg (1g) of fenugreek dry seed three times daily. This can be obtained by taking Nature’s Own Fenugreek 1000mg which contains the equivalent of 1000mg Fenugreek dry seed per capsule.
What else can I do to support my milk supply?
Other tips for establishing and maintaining good milk supply include:
- Frequent feeding – The more you feed your baby, the more milk your breasts should make. Try breastfeeding regularly, every two to three hours, for a total of at least eight feeds in 24 hours.1 Galactogogues such as fenugreek, work best when milk is being removed frequently and effectively from a mother’s breasts.2
- Good attachment – Make sure that attachment is good and your baby is both sucking and swallowing.1
- Stimulation – Compress or massage your breasts before breastfeeding or expressing to encourage good drainage.1
- Avoid smoking1 – As this can affect milk supply.
- Avoid replacing feeding with formula1 – If you need to give your baby extra fluid, try giving expressed breast milk before artificial formula.
- Seek support and information – Seek early advice and support from your midwife, a lactation consultant or the Australian Breastfeeding Association.
Always read the label. Use only as directed. Consult your healthcare professional if symptoms persist.
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
Published February 22, 2015
What causes heartburn?
Healthy people can experience heartburn from time to time, which may be triggered by various diet and lifestyle...
Quick health tips for busy people
Exercise helps to increase your fitness, reduce body weight and boost your energy levels and mood....
Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy BPH
Benign prostatic hypertrophy or BPH is a common condition that affects the majority of men as they...