Benefits of wheatgrass
Published August 14, 2014
Wheatgrass is the young green shoots of the wheat plant that appear before the formation of the grain. It’s often classified as a “superfood” because it contains a concentrated amount and wide spectrum of nutrients. Benefits of wheatgrass include:
- A complete source of protein ‐ Wheatgrass is believed to be a complete protein,1 meaning it provides all the essential amino acids our bodies need but cannot manufacture.
- Rich in minerals – Wheatgrass contains a number of important minerals including calcium, magnesium and iron,1 and may therefore be a valuable addition to a healthy diet.
- Delivers several vitamins – Vitamins that may be present in wheatgrass include vitamins A, C and E,1 which have antioxidant properties and are required for various body functions.
- A source of chlorophyll – Wheatgrass is made up of approximately 70% chlorophyll, the substance that makes it green, and may contribute to general detoxification of the body.1
- Provides natural enzymes – Wheatgrass contains approximately 30 enzymes,1 which may contribute to normal body processes.
- Gluten free – Because wheatgrass is cut prior to the formation of the wheat grain, it lacks gluten,1 a common allergen in some people. It’s therefore suitable for those on a gluten free diet.
How to include wheatgrass in your diet
To obtain the nutritional benefits of wheatgrass and add interest to a healthy well‐balanced diet, you could juice wheatgrass or add a wheatgrass powder to water or a smoothie. It can also be combined with other ‘supergreens’ including chlorella, spirulina, alfalfa and barley grass for an extra boost of valuable vitamins and minerals.
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
Five health tips to get you through the festive season
It's that time of year again, when candy canes appear in supermarkets and radio announcers start counting down the...
How to prevent bloating
Many people experience occasional abdominal bloating, which can be bothersome but manageable with simple dietary and...