What are the benefits of superfoods?
Published August 15, 2014
While no one food can single‐handedly improve your health, as part of a healthy balanced diet, superfoods may provide a range of nutrients that are beneficial for your body.
They’re antioxidant powerhouses – Many superfoods are abundant in antioxidants, molecules that help to protect the body’s cells from the damaging effects of free radicals. Free radicals may be generated by normal bodily processes or through environmental exposure to chemicals like cigarette smoke.1 Antioxidant‐rich superfoods include:
- Acai berries, which contain high amounts of antioxidant substances called anthocyanins2.
- Pomegranate, which is also a source of anthocyanins as well as the antioxidants vitamin C, flavonols and catechins3
- Green coffee bean, which contains phenolic acids that have recognised antioxidant activity4
Including these types of superfoods in your everyday diet may help support your body’s natural antioxidant defence network.
They’re super nutrient‐rich – While the nutritional profile of each superfood is unique, they typically provide a source of various vitamins, minerals and other beneficial substances. By including a variety of superfoods as part of your diet, you can support your body to function efficiently and help you to feel at your best. Superfoods that are especially nutrient‐rich include:
- Spirulina, which contains up to 70% protein plus B‐complex vitamins, phycocyanin, chlorophyll, beta‐carotene, vitamin E and minerals.
- Wheatgrass, which contains approximately 30 enzymes, chlorophyll, amino acids and various vitamins and minerals.5
- Beetroot, which is a source of vitamins A and C, iron and other minerals, carotenoids and dietary fibre.6
Incorporating a variety of superfoods in your daily diet is an easy way to provide your body with important nutrients that taste great.
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
What to do if you wake up in the middle of the night
As you lay there you may begin to worry and fret about the day’s events or about not being able to sleep, slowly...
Why kids need Omega-3
During childhood, the brain and nervous system undergoes rapid growth and...
Vitamin D and your body
Vitamin D is important for many aspects of health including bone and muscle...