Benefits of CoQ10 Coenzyme
Published February 17, 2014
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is a fat soluble vitamin‐like compound that can be synthesized by the body and also consumed through the diet or via supplementation. CoQ10 is found in every cell in the body, highest in organs with greater energy requirements such as the heart, and is beneficial for health in a number of ways:
- Energy production – CoQ10 plays a vital role in the chain of chemical reactions that convert the energy from fat and carbohydrates into adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the form of energy used by cells.1 Consequently it’s important for all energy‐dependent processes in the body including heart muscle contraction.
- Antioxidant – CoQ10 has antioxidant properties and may help to neutralise free radicals and protect against some of the damage they cause. It also helps the antioxidant vitamin E stay active.
- Cardiovascular health – CoQ10 plays various roles in heart and cardiovascular health. It supports heart muscle function, helps maintain normal circulation and assists in the management of cholesterol health in normal healthy adults. It also reduces LDL cholesterol oxidation, which can contribute to heart ailments.
- Exercise – CoQ10 may assist with stamina and endurance and help with recovery after strenuous exercise.
- Sperm health – CoQ10 may be beneficial for sperm health. It helps with sperm function and also with motility.
- Immune function – CoQ10 helps maintain healthy immune system function through improved antibody production. Antibodies are proteins produced by our immune system that help to identify and attack foreign substances in the body before they can cause illness.
- Migraines – A deficiency in CoQ10 may be associated with the development of headaches and migraines in children and adolescents.
- Healthy aging – CoQ10 levels reach their peak in most tissues by the time a person reaches the age of 20 and fall slowly thereafter. The elderly have an increased need for CoQ10 and may benefit from supplementation.
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
Essential vitamins and minerals that may be difficult to get through diet alone
Vitamins and minerals you may not be getting enough of...
Vitamins and minerals to keep the mind sharp
Good nutrition is imperative for normal brain function from a very young age and through every stage of...
What are the benefits of fish oil for brain health and memory?
Omega-3s are very important to brain health and development, and the grey matter within the brain contains high levels...