Benefits of barley grass
Published August 14, 2014
Barley grass is the young green shoots that form before the barley grain develops. It’s been a favourite among health enthusiasts for many years as a natural source of valuable nutrients, and has been labelled a “superfood” as a result. Some of the benefits of barley grass include:
- A source of vitamins – Barley grass may contain beta‐carotene, most of the B vitamins including B1, B2, B5, B6, B12 and folic acid,1 as well as vitamins C and E,2 which all play important roles in various body functions.
- Is rich in minerals – Minerals that may be present in barley grass include potassium, copper, calcium, iron, zinc and magnesium.2
- Delivers other important nutrients – Barley grass is a source of other nutrients that may support the body including amino acids, fibre, chlorophyll and enzymes.1
- Antioxidant activity – Barley grass may help scavenge free radicals in the body as it naturally contains important antioxidants including O‐glycosyl isovitexin, superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase, vitamin C, vitamin E and carotenoids.2
- Alkalising effects – Natural green superfoods are considered to have an ‘alkalising’ effect on the body. The average western diet is generally high in acidic foods, which is believed to contribute to a number of health consequences. Consuming more alkalising foods such as barley grass may contribute to cell function and general wellbeing.3
How to include barley grass in your diet
Barley grass can be juiced or enjoyed as a powder in water or a smoothie. It can also be combined with other ‘supergreens’ including spirulina, wheat grass, alfalfa and chlorella for an added dose of valuable vitamins and minerals.
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
Easy ways to boost your breakfast with superfoods
Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. It refuels the body after many hours of...
Post‐pregnancy weight loss tips
ow that you’re no longer pregnant you’ll probably want to lose the extra weight that you...
Seven simple steps to maintain bone health
Here are several things you can do on a daily basis to help you on the road to better bone...