How to add chia seeds to your diet for a nutritional boost
Published August 15, 2014
Chia seeds come from the plant Salvia hispanica, which is believed to have its origins in Central America and was revered by the Ancient Aztecs for its nutritional benefits. Chia is recognised today as being a concentrated superfood containing omega‐3 and omega‐6 fatty acids, dietary fibre and protein.1 The seeds have a mild, nutty flavour making it easy to add them to a variety of food and beverages. For a daily nutritional boost consider:
- Sprinkling chia seeds on your breakfast ‐ Add to porridge, yoghurt, cereal, muesli or mix into a morning smoothie.
- Mixing into baked goods ‐ To boost the nutritional value of baked goods such as banana bread or healthy berry muffins, you can easily add chia seeds, without affecting their taste. Chia can also be used as an egg‐replacement for vegans or those who are sensitive to eggs. To replace a large egg, soak one tablespoon of chia seeds in three tablespoons of water and let stand for five minutes until an egg‐like consistency is reached.
- Making superfood power balls – Combine chia seeds with rolled oats, diced medjool dates, chopped walnuts and pumpkin seeds, shredded coconut and vanilla essence, roll into balls, and store in the freezer for a healthy snack option.
- Adding to rice or vegetable dishes ‐ Chia seeds can also be sprinkled over vegetables, rice dishes or mixed in with sauces to increase their nutritional value without influencing their flavour.
- Using a chia superfood blend – For digestive support consider using a chia superfood powder blend that contains prebiotics and probiotics. This can be easily added to smoothies, sprinkled over yoghurt and muesli, or mixed into baked goods.
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
B Vitamin Complex
Although the body uses carbohydrates, fat and protein for fuel, it’s the B vitamins that allow your body to use...
Post‐pregnancy weight loss tips
ow that you’re no longer pregnant you’ll probably want to lose the extra weight that you...