Benefits of barley grass
Published August 14, 2014
Barley grass is the young green shoots that form before the barley grain develops. It’s been a favourite among health enthusiasts for many years as a natural source of valuable nutrients, and has been labelled a “superfood” as a result. Some of the benefits of barley grass include:
- A source of vitamins – Barley grass may contain beta‐carotene, most of the B vitamins including B1, B2, B5, B6, B12 and folic acid,1 as well as vitamins C and E,2 which all play important roles in various body functions.
- Is rich in minerals – Minerals that may be present in barley grass include potassium, copper, calcium, iron, zinc and magnesium.2
- Delivers other important nutrients – Barley grass is a source of other nutrients that may support the body including amino acids, fibre, chlorophyll and enzymes.1
- Antioxidant activity – Barley grass may help scavenge free radicals in the body as it naturally contains important antioxidants including O‐glycosyl isovitexin, superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase, vitamin C, vitamin E and carotenoids.2
- Alkalising effects – Natural green superfoods are considered to have an ‘alkalising’ effect on the body. The average western diet is generally high in acidic foods, which is believed to contribute to a number of health consequences. Consuming more alkalising foods such as barley grass may contribute to cell function and general wellbeing.3
How to include barley grass in your diet
Barley grass can be juiced or enjoyed as a powder in water or a smoothie. It can also be combined with other ‘supergreens’ including spirulina, wheat grass, alfalfa and chlorella for an added dose of valuable vitamins and minerals.
Learn about which Nature's Own product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE
Supplements to assist with detoxing
While our bodies do an amazing job at removing harmful substances, with today’s increasing toxic challenges you may...
Five huge health benefits from eating magnesium rich foods
Good dietary wholefood sources of magnesium...
Signs and symptoms of low iron levels
Iron is a mineral that’s essential for many important body functions...